Augusta Real Estate
Augusta is located in northeastern Kalamazoo County at the intersection of G Avenue and M-96. It was first settled back in 1832 when Dr. Salmon King came here and built the first log cabin and an inn. He later sold the property to a group of investors, including Epaphroditus Ransom, who was Michigan’s governor from 1848-1850. The town was officially named when it received a post office in 1838 by settler and first postmaster, George Rigby, who came from Augusta Maine. It eventually was incorporated as a city in 1905.
Augusta today has preserved its small town atmosphere with about 850 residents. Located on Augusta Creek, which flows into the Kalamazoo River about a mile south, this scenic town includes a city park situated on a dam pond which includes the local Library and a well-preserved railroad depot. A row of stores is located on the other side of the park, across the street. Augusta has become known in the last 30 years for the location of the Barn Theater, an organization featuring both local talent and guest artists from around the country.
Some of the parks in Augusta include the W.K. Kellogg Bird Sanctuary and the Fort Custer Recreation Area- featuring three lakes, a river, second growth forests, prairie restoration, three lakes, the Kalamazoo River an excellent trail system used by hikers, horse riders and mountain climbers.